Pages

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Babywearing a newborn

My newborn is not so new anymore (already 6 weeks old!), but I started wearing him in a sling for the first time when he was just 5 days old.
5-day old Little Brother in a woven wrap
I often get asked on what the best way is to wear such a tiny baby. I already wrote previously about how important it is to position your baby in the correct way: with their back arched and their legs spread so their knees are higher than their bottom (froggy legs). This is hard to accomplish in most of the structured carriers (like Ergo), because the baby's legs are too small to fit in the carrier properly when they are newborns. The Ergo does have a baby insert, but even there it is quite difficult to get the baby positioned properly. Many people use a Babybjorn for their newborn, but with those it is impossible to attain the recommended position for the baby. So my answer is always that it's best to wear your newborn in a wrap. 

Wraps come either stretchy (like the Moby) or woven (like the one I'm using in the picture). I like woven wraps better because once you know how to tie them you have more control than with a stretchy wrap. Also, BlueEyes was born in the middle of the summer and where we live a stretchy wrap, with three layers of thick cotton was WAY too hot. Tying a wrap might seem challenging at first, but with a bit of practice it's almost like tying your shoe laces. 

Here's a good video (that's not me) of how to do an FWCC (front wrap cross carry) using a woven wrap. I sometimes put a rolled up wash cloth in the top rail of the wrap to add some head support.
And here's a good video (also not me) of how to put your newborn in a stretchy wrap:

 

3 comments:

  1. yay! i was pretty nervous to try with my first when he was tiny. i think the eventual sibling will be less scary to wrap up in my woven wrap now that i've got some experience. beautiful mommy and baby pic, btw. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And yes, as with many things, it was much easier with the second!

      Delete
  2. I've got a woven wrap just a few days ago and I'm very curious to try it. We'll see how long it takes until I dare to do so.

    ReplyDelete